Today is the 198th Anniversary of the Battle of Waterloo, 18 June 1815.
Considered a turning point in European history, the battle marked the end of the age of Napoleon and ushered in a reactionary but largely peaceful half-century or so for Europe.
The battle pitted 68,000 Anglo-Dutch-Belgian-German troops under Field Marshal the Duke of Wellington allied with 50,000 Prussians (only two corps of which under Ziethen and Bülow were engaged in the battle) under General Gebhard von Blücher, against 72,000 French troops of decent quality under Napoleon. The French had 250 guns compared to the Allies’ 150. The battle lasted from approximately 11 am to around 8 pm, though the fleeing French troops were chased through the night and, indeed, all the way back to Paris.
“The history of a battle is not unlike the history of a ball,” wrote Wellington, “Some individuals may recollect all the little events of which the great result is the battle won or lost; but no individual can recollect the order in which, or the exact moment at which, they occurred, which makes all the difference as to their value or importance.” Thus the Duke advised an inquiring writer against trying to write a detailed account of Waterloo. Although histories of that famous battle are now innumerable — even during his own lifetime Wellington had come across so many that he remarked “I shall begin to doubt if I was really there myself” — his advice will be heeded here.
Napoleon launched three significant infantry attacks over the course of the day and Wellington’s army repulsed them all; Marshal Ney initiated a series of ill-advised cavalry charges while the British “Heavies” galloped too far but captured two Eagles; Hougoumont was valiantly held while La Haye Sainte was valiantly defended, captured, and then retaken; the French threatened the Allied center while the Prussians threatened the French flank; the British squares stood firm while the Imperial Guard amazingly broke and fled.
It suffices to say, as Wellington did, that Waterloo was “a damned nice thing — the nearest run thing you ever saw in your life.” After being “humbugged” on the 15th of June and nearly losing the battle of overall strategy, Wellington won the battle of tactics.
WOAH INTERESTING QUESTIONS PLEASE
- 01: tell me the truth, what made you start liking the person you like right now?
- 02: what on your body is hurting or bothering you?
- 03: what was your last thought before going to bed last night?
- 04: what are you listening to?
- 05: what’s something you’re not looking forward to?
- 06: where do you think your best friend is right now?
- 07: have you kissed anybody in the last five days?
- 08: sex on the first date?
- 09: kiss on the first date?
- 10: is there one person you want to be with right now?
- 11: are you seriously happy with where you are in life?
- 12: is there something you would like to say to someone?
- 13: what are three things you did today?
- 14: would you rather sleep at a friend’s or have them over?
- 15: what is your favorite kind of gum?
- 16: are you friends with any of your ex boyfriends/ girlfriends?
- 17: what is on your wrists right now?
- 18: ever liked someone you thought you didn’t stand a chance with?
- 19: does anyone have strong feelings for you?
- 20: are you slowly drifting away from someone?
- 21: have you ever wasted your time on someone?
- 22: can you do the alphabet in sign language?
- 23: how have you felt today?
- 24: you receive £60 without any reason, what do you spend it on?
- 25: what is wrong with you right now?
- 26: is there anyone you’re really disappointed in?
- 27: would you rather have starbucks or jamba juice right now?
- 28: why aren’t you in ‘love’ with your last ex anymore?
- 29: how late did you stay up last night and why?
- 30: when was the last time you talked to one of your best friends?
- 31: what were you doing an hour ago?
- 32: what are you looking forward to in the next month?
- 33: are you wearing jeans right now?
- 34: are you a patient person?
- 35: do you think you can last in a relationship for three months?
- 36: favorite color?
- 37: did you have a dream last night?
- 38: are you wearing jeans, shorts, sweatpants, or pajama pants?
- 39: if someone could be cuddling you right now, who would you want it to be?
- 40: do you love anyone who is not related to you?
- 41: if someone liked you right now, would you want them to tell you?
- 42: do you like meeting new people?
- 43: are you afraid of falling in love?
- 44: ever self-harmed or starved yourself?
- 45: has anyone ever told you that you have pretty eyes?
- 46: have you ever felt like you weren’t good enough?
haha I Love This
i love that simba is included
*goes to england*
me: excuse me, what time is it?
brit: time wots that m8?
*big ben chimes*
everyone starts to count the bongs on their fingers*
brit: OI IT’S 7 BONG
doing an experiment. Reblog if you aren’t wearing shoes
…why do I feel so awkward reblogging this
Shoot, any time I’m at home I’m out of my shoes…
Why exactly is Tom Riddle’s award for special services to the school still in the Hogwarts trophy room?
#you’d think that after he started killing people they’d have removed it
is this ok can i have this blanket please
Lies. Wendy is way prettier than that when she grows up. Trust me.
OH MY GOD THAT ^ Do you realise who that is? He’s the Peter Pan from Disneyland who married Wendy. that’s just really sweet omg.
Do you ever look up from reading a book and get disoriented because you’re actually in your bedroom or class or somewhere that isn’t the story?
I THOUGHT I WAS THE ONLY ONE OMG
why am i not a banana
Because your genetic code dictates that you are human. However, it should please you to know that you share 50 - 60% of your DNA with a banana.
are you telling me that some people are 10% more banana than other people